Sunday, February 14, 2010

Ethical issue: Should the government be allowed to track a person's movements based on cell phone records, without evidence of criminal wrongdoing?

We carry our cell phones everywhere, they are part of us, just like a limb, or the clothes we wear. If I forget it at home (which rarely happens) I feel exposed, even panic, thinking, "what if I'm in the car and I need to make an important call?"

What we don't realize most of the time is that we are carrying a microchip, just like pets.
At any given time if someone wants to know where we are, or have been, it is easily done from the cell phone company's records. Now, is this something we should worry about? In most cases, the government wouldn't have an interest in following people, but in a lot of other cases, it can - and without even letting the person know. Is that ethical? Should the government have the right to monitor key people without them being aware? I personally couldn't find an answer to that, I am happy for now that I have found the question...

Technology has made our lives much more comfortable, linked us more, opened new doors. But in the same time, it brought all these unanticipated issues, and in some ways made everything more complicated. If you had a choice, would you stop technology from developing? Would you say, "OK, I think this is enough?"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100212/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_cell_phones_surveillance

1 comment:

  1. Adina, this is a great post and it raises important questions regarding privacy. I don't have the answer to your question either, but it sure makes you wonder what the ethical thing is.

    One could easily say, "I will get rid of my phone in order to have my privacy." But is that fair? Is that how we should solve the privacy issue? Giving up on a commodity that makes our life easier in exchange for our privacy? I believe that we could give up our cell phones and still we will NOT have 100 percent privacy. Employers, mortgage and insurance companies et. al hold a great deal of our personal information. Should we give up on our jobs or having health insurance for the sake of privacy? I don't think we should. And just as important, can we survive without our mobile devices? I believe we can. But why should we?
    Anyway, great post, I for one, could not live without my cell phone.

    ReplyDelete