Sunday, February 21, 2010

Speaking of Technological Convergence...

I think this is interesting, just when I was wondering what else we can do from our phones, I read this. Technology once again brings us all together...

Mobile phones become pocket banks in poor countries

BARCELONA, Spain (AFP) – An Afghan police officer gets his salary in a text message on his mobile phone. A Kenyan worker dials a few numbers to send money to his family.
The rise of banking transactions through mobile phones is giving a whole new meaning to pocket money in parts of the developing world that lack banks or cash machines.
Mobile money applications are emerging as potent financial tools in rural and remote areas of the globe, allowing people with no bank accounts to get paid, send remittances or settle their bills.
"One billion consumers in the world have a mobile phone but no access to a bank account," said Gavin Krugel, the director of mobile banking strategy at GSM Association, an industry group of 800 wireless operators.

See the rest at http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100221/tc_afp/telecomtechnologyinternetbankingemerge

4 comments:

  1. This phone banking sounds very convenient. Maybe more useful for some places than others. Would have to try it to see if I would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every day we seem to rely more and more on our cell phones. I find myself looking for movie showtimes, reading the news, and now books with the Kindle app, all on my cell phone. I would not be surprised if in the near future we could solely depend on our mobile devices for e-mail, and even banking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post
    here I want to say that,
    I am Elina Thomas, my company provides technical support to customers who have any issue with their laptop & computer(hardware and software), and printer, etc. Our technicians who have more knowledge about it will help you in resolving your issue properly within a minute, available 24*7.
    for any query support related to any software and hardware you can go to...........Facebook Belgie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe this is interesting; I read it just as I was thinking what else we can accomplish with our phones. Once again, technology brings us all together...
    Outlook Bellen

    ReplyDelete